How to Clean Switchable Glass
Glass does require maintenance.
We all know that you can’t just install glass and expect it to remain clean and pristine. Like every other material we construct with or install in our homes, glass is subject to the corrosive effects of the atmosphere and surrounds, and the caking-up of ambient dust, dirt or grime.
Even self-cleaning glass coatings have their limitations and do require a periodic washing as the coating relies upon water to flush surface dirt off.
Regularly cleaned glass will require only a periodic detergent wash and squeegee wipe down.
Switchable Privacy Glass has its own set of simple cleaning rules. Cleaning of this type of glass during the subsequent weathering period is necessary, and long-term, routine cleaning requires the same method.
Abrasive cleaners should never be used, particularly when the surface to be cleaned has a special coating.
- The panel should be in its ‘off’ state before cleaning.
- Clean the panels with a mild soap or very weak acid (vinegar) solution applied with a soft, clean, grit-free cloth.
- The glass and framing should be rinsed immediately with water and the excess should be squeegeed away from the glass.
- The framing should be wiped dry.
- Do not allow any metal or hard parts of the cleaning equipment to contact the glass surfaces.
- Switchable Privacy Glass installed in wet areas such as bathrooms should be squeegeed down and dried off regularly.